Friday, February 4, 2011

Koko Head Crater

Even though my quad muscles have never felt like this before, the trip up Koko Head was absolutely worth every ounce of pain!  Koko Head Crater has a large staircase...1048 stairs to be exact - up the side of it, and is quite a hiker's delight.  Good workout and beautiful scenery!

Looking up from the bottom, the trail actually didn't seem too bad!

This is the bridge a little over halfway up.  We went around through a makeshift path since the railroad ties were wide enough for even Becky to fall through easily! (I didn't get a picture of it so I borrowed one from a trail site.)

Although I wasn't winded going up or down (due to the 3 weeks of running I've done), my quad muscles have never felt so used and abused! I guess the extra 50lbs of piggybacking Jack part of the way, put me over the edge. Jack made it a long way before Becky & I began the 20-20-20 system: 20 steps on her back, walk 20 steps, then 20 steps on my back. We did that about halfway up. Jake carried Henry the entire way on his back and probably made it to the top in half the time as the rest of the group! He never ceases to amaze me!


 
The hike was totally worth it for the beautiful view!  It was neat to be able to see our home and point out things that we have become familiar with during our short time here. We will definitely do this again, but maybe not with our kiddos!




No comments: